Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Holiday Baking Summary

I had an urge to perfect my cookie baking skill over the holiday. I was specifically looking for a recipe for a super thin and crisp cookies that required no rolling dough. Simply due to my laziness, I hate cleaning mess on the table afterward, for that reason, I hardly make pies. Although I'm proud of my pie crust that is layered and flaky. Anyway, maybe someday I'll be making more pies.

So, I did some search on cookie recipes. I couldn't find exactly I was dreaming of.
Here are the cookies I made during the holiday (they are not all vegan, some could be vegan, I think):

1. Buckwheat butter cookies (modified, original recipe and the instruction found at http://orangette.blogspot.com/)

This cookie is super good. I baked twice in two weeks. The original recipe calls for "cocoa nib". I don't know where to get it. So I added some bitter sweet chocolate chips instead for the first time. It was still good but I found it too sweet. So the second round, I left out the chocolate, reduced the sugar, and increased the buckwheat ratio. The taste is more simple, but I like this way better. I'm thinking the next time I bake this, I can even reduce more sugar, probably to 1/3 cup sugar.

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup buckwheat flour
½ lb. unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes

2. Almond Blondie
I was feeling kind of scared how fast my sugar jar was going down because of all the cookies I have been making. The original recipe calls for 1 cup sugar, and I reduced to the half, which was a big mistake. I like the flavor of whatever it turned out, but to be honest, it is far from what blondie is supposed to be, in my opinion.

8 Tbsp Margarine, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 cup sliced almond
1 tsp almond extract

Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes

3. Almond Lace Cookie (Oatflakes - "Havreflarn") http://www.pasht.net/scandinavian/Fav3.html

Now, this one was really fun to bake. I came across to this when I was looking for a thin crisp cookies that I can drop and bake.(no rolling) I followed the recipe carefully this time except that I didn't have "oat flake" so "rolled oats" was replaced, and that I only had a half cup of it, so the recipe was reduced to the half. When it is in the oven, it really spreads fast as it bubbles like crazy. I was glued to the oven, fun to watch. I like the texture and all but find it too sweet. It is almost like caramel. I wonder if there is any way to reduce sugar without affecting the end result...probably there isn't...

1/4 cup melted margarine
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1 Tbsp of flour
1 tsp of baking powder

Bake at 350°F for 6 minutes

4. Swedish Lace Cookies (which I modified so much that it wasn't no longer what it was supposed to be)
But anyhow, I really liked the taste. The cardamon is the key, really a nice touch. I can't even remember how I modified, but I know that since I didn't have bran flakes, I just added 1 cup of flour instead, or something stupid. Oh, also added was 1/4 cup of sliced almond. The cookie turned out flat and a bit soft. I wanted to be flat and crisp...

The original recipe is at http://www.cooksrecipes.com/cookie/swedish_lace_cookies_recipe.html
1/2 cup margarine
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons water
3/4 cup bran flakes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

5. Peanut butter cookies (I can not find any photo of it...)
The original recipe is at http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Oatmeal-Peanut-Butter-Cookies-III/Detail.aspx

This is a good recipe, very easy and quick. The cookies are light and very good, resulting eating too much of them.
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup quick cooking oats

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.