Monday, May 14, 2007

Vegan Lime Cupcake with Coconut Lime Frosting


Last week it was getting very hot and I was giving up on the idea of baking for a while. But then, it is cooling down and I'm on vacation this week.
So I tried the recipe for slightly larger cupcakes (see previous post).

Firstly, I realized that I needed to use a larger bowl. The batter before adding flour was splashing a lot!
Then, when I was filling 12 cakes, I thought I had too much to fill in. Each was filled up to 1 cm to the edge. I wondered if it was too much or too heavy to rise properly.

The lime I had was huge, the same size to lemon. I would have prepared to use one lime to the batter and another one for the frosting. Instead, I used only one lime for both.


Ingredients for Cupcake:
1 Tbsp Vinegar + juice of 1/2 lime + milk = 1 1/4 cup

1 2/3 cup flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp and 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
2/5 cup oil (or 100 ml)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 to 1 lime zest

Baking at 350F degree was fine too. I took them out at about 17 minutes. They rose well, then went down a little.


I actually forgot to add the zest to the batter :(
so I simply used all the zest for the frosting, which I also added shredded sugared coconut and a bit of rum. I only used the lime juice instead of milk. The zest was not too much. This frosting is a little sour and refreshing.

Ingredients for Frosting:
1 Tbsp Margarin
1 Tbsp + 2 tsp coconut oil
1/2 cup confection sugar
1 to 3 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp rum
1/2 to 1 lime Zest
1/3 cup shredded coconut with sugar

So, does the slightly larger cupcake recipe work?
Yes. It turned out to be great. I do not see much difference from others, fluffy and moist. The sugar is much reduced compared to other recipes around but it works. Still sweet but not too sweet.