Wednesday, May 2, 2007

review

I'm quite happy with these cakes, but there are a few things to improve;

1. the height
I read that if the oven temperature is too high, the middle tends to rise. I guess I could have flatter top, so maybe I can reduce the oven to 350F, which is the average baking setting. The only thing is that I can not really trust my oven, sometimes it seems to act like it is lower than the dial says.

2. volume
The batter usually fills about 2/3 for 12 cupcakes. When they come out, I feel they are a little low. So, for the next time, I will try the modified version.

3. sugar
The cupcakes could be less sweet. I wonder if I can reduce some sugar.

ingredients for (slightly larger)12 cupcakes:

1Tbs vinegar + milk (soy, rice, almond) makes 1 1/4 cup

1 2/3 cup flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

1/3 cup sugar
2/5 cup or 100ml oil (I use olive oil)
1 tsp vanilla