Saturday, April 28, 2007
Vegan Almond Cupcake
So, I modified the basic recipe which is for 22 cupcakes (vegan vanilla cupcake) for 12 so that it'd suit to my 12 muffins pan. I added some ground almond to give some nice nutty flavor.
Very moist and fluffy, it does not taste much almond, but has nice light crumbs. Orange blossom water in the icing adds an interesting flavor, but it could go without it too...
ingredients for 12 cupcakes:
1Tbs vinegar + milk (soy, rice, almond) makes 1 cup
1 cup flour
1/3 cup ground almond
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 oil (I use olive oil)
2 tsp amaretto
1 tsp vanilla
preheat the oven at 375 degree.
Grease pan and flour, or place papers.
1. Mix vinegar and milk, leave it aside.
2. Measure all the dry ingredients, mix well, leave it aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil, vanilla, and amaratto, beat well with an electric mixer.
4. Slowly introduce the milk mixture into "3". This will be very watery, but keep beating.
5. Add the flour mixture at once, beat quickly for about 10 seconds, scrape off the side once and then beat for another 5 seconds. The batter will be smooth.
6. Divide the batter into 12, filling about 2/3 each cup. Bake for about 17 to 20 minutes.
For the icing:
1 tsp margarin
2 to 3 tsp coconut oil
roughly 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp amaretto
1/4 tsp orange blossom water
1 to 2 Tbs soy milk to adjust
mix margarin, coconut oil and sugar well with a fork, introducing other liquid a little by little, until it is doubled in volume and fluffy .