Monday, April 30, 2007
Vegan Chocolate Orange Spice Cupcake
This one turned out really nice, good fluffy light body, bitter coco mixed with orange. I also added a bit of cinnamon and cayenne pepper so it is a little spicy, but subtle. The icing is flavored with a touch of cinnamon and brandy, it goes well with the chocolate cake very much.
I feel this could be less sweet, I like when chocolate has intense bitter taste. Maybe for the next time I will try reducing some sugar and see what happens....
ingredients for 12 cupcakes:
1Tbs vinegar + milk (soy, rice, almond) makes 1 cup
1 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 cayenne pepper
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 oil (I use olive oil)
1 tsp vanilla
zest of one orange
preheat the oven at 375 degree.
Grease pan and flour, or place papers.
1. Mix vinegar and milk, leave it aside.
2. Measure all the dry ingredients, mix well, leave it aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil, vanilla, beat well with an electric mixer.
4. Slowly introduce the milk mixture into "3". This will be very watery, but keep beating.
5. Add the flour mixture at once, beat quickly for about 10 seconds, scrape off the side once and then beat for another 5 seconds. The batter will be smooth.
6. Divide the batter into 12, filling about 2/3 each cup. Bake for about 17 to 20 minutes.
For the icing:(I only put about 1 tsp icing on each cake, if you like LOTS of icing on, you might want to double or triple this recipe)
1 tsp margarin
2 tsp coconut oil
roughly 1/3 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp brandy
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1 Tbs or less soy milk to adjust
mix margarin, coconut oil and sugar well with a fork, introducing other liquid a little by little, until it is doubled in volume and fluffy .